Holding the Vision



Eleven years ago, I taught my godchild how to make a vision board. We grabbed a pile of magazines, scissors, glue sticks and poster boards and designed the lives we wanted. I found photos of handsome men, tropical beaches, exotic cars, big houses, stacks of cash, babies, and phrases like, "You Got This," "Wonder Woman," "Hollywood Power Player," and "Happily Ever After" and carefully adhered them to my board.

When my goddaughter presented her board, I was mortified. There were no cute boys, trendy outfits,  silly girls modeling makeup, or various careers. Her board had all the makings of a perfect little house.  She was 17, and she was clearly preparing for domesticity.

I panicked, "Are you trying to tell me something?"

She laughed, "No, Nini, I'm not!"

That didn't settle well. "Then why do you care about a perfect kitchen?" I asked. "What the hell?" I'd like to say that I was cool, but I was boiling inside.

She calmly replied, "I want a nice kitchen. What's the big deal?"

"No big deal, I would just think that you would have other priorities."  I sighed and backed off.  I had learned to pick my battles with my godkid, and I wasn't sure what this battle was.  To be clear, I believe a young woman should choose the life she wants...AFTER she's educated and it's really a choice!

The next day I was recounting the story to her mother, my BFF. "I think she's pregnant," I said.

"Shut up, she is not!" BFF responded, not happy with me at all. "How could you even think that?"

"Because this kid had no interest in entering a kitchen three weeks ago. It makes no sense!"

We hung up, annoyed with one another.  The next day, BFF called, crying, "She thinks she's pregnant. I can't deal. Will you take her to Planned Parenthood to get a real test?"

Somehow I'd made it through adulthood without entering a Planned Parenthood. Now here I was waiting with the other mothers, best friends and nervous boyfriends, all of us staring at each other in silence. Finally after nearly an hour, my godkid emerged with a smile on her face. I was relieved, "You're not pregnant?"

"I am!"

I hugged her tight.  For once, I didn't cry. "Let's go eat."

We went to the Cheesecake Factory. She was celebrating. I was counseling, "Let's talk about your options."

"I'm having my baby!"

"You're 17. What about college?"

"I'm having my baby. Finishing high school. Then college."

"This won't be easy. You have options."

"I'm having my baby! And keeping my baby."

"Can we talk about your options?"

"Hopefully, my parents won't kick me out, because I'm having my baby! And keeping my baby." She was determined. She had a vision, and nothing and NO ONE was going to stand in the way of that vision.

Suffice it to say that there were MANY challenges, but I was one of a dozen people in the room when she had her baby, and kept her baby. A baby who brought magic to all of our lives. And because my goddaughter had the love and support of her parents and family (and me), she did as she intended. She finished school; provided a great home for her child; and met the love of her life.

I may have taught her how to create the vision, but she taught me how to hold on to it, without interference...and bring it to life.

This week I went to visit my BFF and my beloved godkid. I noticed a spread of magazines, "Nini, I'm making a vision board," she exclaimed. "You're gonna love this one!"

"Oh great," I said, "Make one for me too, please!"

As my BFF poured my coffee, my godkid presented her board. It read: "I'm pregnant with twins. Congratulations Auntie!" And then she whispered, "This time, you don't have to take me to Planned Parenthood."

And this time, I allowed myself to cry.




Do you believe in vision boards? Are you able to manifest your visions? Share your story.


PURGE AND SURGE

Comments

  1. Every vision as does a painting, has an artist.....we are individually creating our own masterpiece each day of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️ Favorite part “I may have taught her how to create the vision, but she taught me how to hold on to it, without interference...and bring it to life.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment