Dirty Married People

It's 6pm in LA- 8pm in Chicago where my college BFF is in bed AS USUAL with her husband. They have two young children who were forced to retire at 7pm so that Mommy and Daddy could have some alone time. I know this because the BFF phoned at 5pm, but since I was still working, I had to return the call.  An hour later, and she's showered, powdered and ready for love!! My call is an interruption, and I refuse to hang up without a fight (read the title of this blog, folks!).

And suddenly I'm transported to the early 70's, living on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, PA keenly aware that when both parents go to bed while it's sunny outside, it's not because they're sleepy. I walked in on my parents on a very sunny day, and I remember my playmates Rita* and Francie whose parents were always "napping" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The sisters weren't allowed in the house during those times, so they were usually hanging out with my older sis and I. One afternoon, they invited us over.  I don't think we'd ever been inside their home, so we were excited.

Upon arrival, Francie and her sister motioned for us to quietly enter the house.  We were giggling as on our tippy toes we tried to make it up the stairs.  Half-way there, Mr. Pepperelli appeared, staring at us as he tightened the belt on his robe.  His hair was ruffled, his skin was flushed--I knew right away what was up!  He didn't yell or curse, but he firmly said, "Girls go outside until your mother tells you to come in." And that's when Mrs. Pepperelli appeared behind him, arms fully embracing him.  "I'll be out in a few minutes girls, and then we'll all have lunch."  I could barely see her, but her voice was so damn raspy--like Kathleen Turner's. We all turned around and bolted out of there. I was in total hysterics,"You're parents are making sexy, you're parents are making sexy!"  My sis quickly chastised me, but Francie and Rita had no idea what I was shouting about.  They were just afraid that they'd get in trouble for waking their parents. 

When we returned for our tuna sandwiches some 30 minutes later, Mr. and Mrs P were still wearing their robes.  And I thought, "Ewwwh!  They're dirty!"  Somehow I was cool with the afternoon tryst, but was appalled when they still donned their loving wardrobe during our lunch.  "Ewwwh!"


* all names changed

Comments

  1. College BFF responds: First of all we have to get up at 5:45 am during the week to get ready before we wake the kids (ages 4 and 2) at 6:30 am to get ready. The kids go to bed at 7 pm EVERY night and still sometimes have a hard time getting up in the morning (as do we). Once they go to bed it is OUR time! Yes, sometimes for "making sexy" but just as often for catching up on the days events or watching one of our shows. I think one of the main reasons we stay connected is this time, a time when I am not usually on the phone unless a college BFF refuses to hang up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life sounds LOVELY. LOL!
    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment