SHE THOUGHT I WAS A COW




Still going through the remnants of my storage.  Today I attacked 20 years of clothing--sizes 6-16. Amazing.  I pulled out the Pucci rip-off I loved to wear in 1992.  It was a pleated mini with wild brightly colored shapes.  I remember the time. Remember the boy who's eye it caught. I was so happy. Today, I couldn't get my left thigh into my treasured skirt-- I tried! I'd wear that skirt with my apple green blazer, a black turtleneck leotard, black tights, black patent leather mary jane slingback flats. OMG- I thought I looked so cute-- cuter if I could lose a few more pounds, but the jacket hid my belly well.

I idolized a co-worker who was a few years older, and several inches taller. She lectured me about getting into shape; I didn't think I looked that bad, but took her advice. I joined NutraSystem. When I reported back after joining, she asked how much I weighed.  Embarrased, I admitted, "140, but I'm working on it!" She laughed aloud and said, "That's just crazy! I really thought you'd weigh less than I do."

The psychological warfare that takes place among young women.

After work each and every day, I'd take two aerobic classes, and then put in 30 minutes on the Stairmaster.  My knees would ache, and I'd sometimes become light-headed, but I didn't care. I needed to be Hollywood thin. I'd eat lettuce for lunch.  And lettuce with chicken for dinner. I could barely concentrate at work, but everyone kept telling me how good I looked. I was down to 124 lbs. Elated, I purchased a whole new wardrobe. My petite apparel fit for about a year, but was kept for 17 with the hopes and plans that one day it'd all fit again.

Oh, the psychological warfare that takes place within a woman!



Comments